Rich Historic Attractions
A storied past comes alive everywhere you go in Putnam County.
We have historic castles abounding built by some of America's leading industrialists in the nineteenth century. We have many homes and properties on the National Historic Register, many great old Victorian homes as well as Colonial Inns, Churches and Monasteries. Our historic towns have charming old parks and cemeteries and even old railbeds that have been converted into bike trails.
Preservation is important to us, as our history helped shape New York's and America's history.
Boscobel House & Gardens
Boscobel is open April through December every day except: Tuesdays, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. The museum and grounds are closed to the public January, February and March.
Hours-April through October 9:30am-5pm (last tour begins at 4pm)
November and December 9:30am-4pm (last tour begins at 3pm)
Address: 1601 Route 9D, Garrison, NY 10524
Phone: (845) 265-3638
Chapel Of Our Lady Restoration
On the banks of the Hudson River, in the heart of the Highlands opposite West Point, The Chapel Restoration is a national historic landmark, built in 1833 in the Greek Revival style. Fifty miles north of New York City, across from Metro North Railroad Station and within walking distance of the charming 19th century village of Cold Spring, the chapel, which has no religious affiliation, hosts the renowned Sunday Music Series and Sunset Reading Series. A beautiful and serene setting for weddings and other private gatherings, such as christenings, commitment ceremonies, renewal of vows and memorials, it is also a place of repose and contemplation for visitors to its grounds offering spectacular views. Originally known as Chapel of Our Lady.
Address: 45 Market St, Cold Spring , NY 10516
Constitution Island Tours
Tours leave from the Cold Spring Metro North station.
Public Tours are at 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Tours are approximately 2 1/4 hours in duration.onstitution Island is part of West Point, the United States Military Academy, a National Registered Landmark. The Island is most famous for the Great Chain that was placed across the Hudson during the Revolutionary War and the Warner family who lived on the Island during the 19th century.
Address: , Cold Spring, NY 10516
Phone: (845) 446-8676
Historic Tompkins Corners Methodist Church
Some people consider the countryside at the north end of Putnam Valley to be an unexplored wilderness, and many townspeople have rarely ventured there. But in the center of it all, right on Peekskill Hollow Road, stands the Tompkins Corners church,
According to old maps from the last century, Tompkins Corners was the only center in Putnam Valley, it was a post office, a corner store, the place where young men registered for the draft in WW 1, and the site of the old Tompkins Corners Church , which is now designated as a historic landmark .
In the 1930 supposedly there was a national radio show called Tompkins Corners, based on this place, and the writers were summer visitors here.
Besides its longstanding service as a Methodist church, the building and its distinctive horse shed has hosted many community non-political events. Old timers will remember decades of the Tompkins Corners fair, which was held every year in July for 87 years , where people gathered and nothing ever happened. Recently the horse shed was the rallying place for meetings of the Friends of Peekskill Hollow Road, a group of concerned citizens who effectively stopped the county from turning the country road into a speedway.
The Church with its beautiful stained glass windows, has seen its sanctuary used for concerts, plays, film screenings, story telling events and talks, and the well known local musician David Amram has presented Jazz concerts outside in the summer at the historic Tompkins Corners Stadium. For years, Gwen Cope, a trustee of the church ( and former ballet dancer) has organized and presented a series of musical events that have been well attended by the local community.
Address: Peekskill Hollow Road, Putnam Valley, NY 10579
Phone: (845) 528-5076
LANDMARKS PRESERVATION SOCIETY
Landmarks is an incorporated not-for-profit membership corporation with the purpose of identifying and preserving landmarks that constitute the historical, architectural or natural heritage of the town of Southeast. To that end, it has sought to further awareness and interest through a variety of programs and publications, including two reprintings of William Pelletreau's definitive 1886 History of Putnam County. The society has placed plaques, with appropriate ceremonies, on a number of local sites and structures, and has prepared applications for others now listed in the National Register of Historical Places. Programs with local schools have been conducted for more than eighteen years.
Address: 43 Oak St, Brewster, NY 10509
Manitoga-The Russel Wright Design Center
Manitoga's mission is to preserve the legacy of pioneer designer Russel Wright, his home, landscape, products, archives and philosophy and share them with professionals and the public.
Manitoga is the only 20th century modern homesite open to the public in New York, and one of few on the east coast. Wright considered it his most important creative effort. In 2006, Manitoga was named a National Historic Landmark.
Address: 584 Route 9D, Garrison, NY 10524
Phone: (845) 424-3812
Putnam County History Museum
The purpose of the society is to collect, preserve, and present to the public historical and cultural materials pertaining to Putnam County, especially the Philipstown area, the West Point Foundry, and the Hudson Highlands. To fulfill this mission, the society maintains and administers the Foundry School Museum and a research library. The museum organizes changing exhibitions, with accompanying catalogues, and provides educational programming for the public.
Address: 63 Chestnut St, Cold Spring , NY 10516
Phone: (845) 265-4010
Established in 1963, the Southeast Museum offers exhibits on the history of the Town of Southeast, including the early American Circus, the Harlem Line Railroad, the Tilly Foster Mine, the Borden Milk Condensery, and the Croton Reservoir System.
In addition, the museum presents various changing exhibits, drawing on its extensive collection of antique farm and household implements, quilts, clothing and assorted Americana reflecting 19th century material culture. The museum is located on Main Street, Brewster in one of Putnam County's largest landmarked buildings, the 1896 Old Town Hall, which is listed in the National Register of Historic places.
Address: 67 Main St, Brewster, NY 10509
Phone: (845) 279-7500
The Putnam County Historic Cemetery Committee
Address: See Website for each Towns Representative and special event tours, , NY
Tilly Foster Farm
The public is welcome to partake in various passive recreational activities at Tilly Foster Farm: Hiking, Picnicking, Winter Snowshoeing and Fishing.
Address: 100 Route 312, Brewster, NY 10509
Phone: (845) 279-2103